The online course entitled AGORA : Fundamentals of Information Literacy and Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture is provided by the Partnerships and South-South Cooperation Division (DPS) at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations (UN), in collaboration with Research4Life.
The goal of this course is to enhance agricultural research in low and middle income countries by supporting access to peer-reviewed literature in the fields of food, agriculture, environmental science and related social sciences. The course aims to provide information about the fundamentals of information literacy competencies and develop necessary skills to access and effectively use AGORA (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture) digital collection with up to 10,500 key journals and 26,500 e-books providing full-text to more than 3,400 institutions in more than 115 countries. Through a Research4Life joint launch page, AGORA users can also access information resources (total: up to 81,000) from other four Research4Life programmes (Hinari,OARE, ARDI, GOALI).
AGORA Online Course is provided in English. The course lasts for two weeks and requires for 6 hours time commitment on average per week. It consist of two units and 5 lessons:
UNIT 1: Identify, Access and Use Information Resources
Lesson 1: Identifying information sources
Lesson 2: Using information resources
Lesson 3: Citing and referencing
UNIT 2: Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture (AGORA)
Lesson 2.1: AGORA and Research4Life: Institutional framework
Lesson 2.2: Search AGORA effectively
At the end of the course, participants attending the course will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate information sources, develop search strategy, familiarize with search techniques;
- Understand ethical considerations in academia, gain skills in citing and referencing;
- Access and search AGORA content effectively including browsing collections, applying advanced search techniques, using discovery service and bibliometric analytical tool.
The course is designed specifically to serve the needs of researchers, academics, research officers, librarians, IT specialists, other practitioners and students.
- Research4Life eligible countries (Group A, Group B) and
- Types of eligible institutions: *national universities, *professional schools (medicine, agriculture, pharmacy, public health, engineering, etc.), *research institutes, *teaching hospitals and healthcare centers, *government offices, *national libraries, *agricultural extension centers and *local non-governmental organizations, -
and whose work or study is related to agricultural & related sectors, can apply to this course.
|Call for applications:||27 April - 13 May 2018|
|Selection of participants:||17 May 2018|
|Course runs:||21 May - 3 June 2018|
At the end of the course you will receive a certificate of achievement.
For your questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].