OPEN Call: LEARNING OPPORTUNITY FOR AFRICAN PUBLIC LIBRARIANS !
The deadline for applications is 9 February 2018.
IYALI (Initiative for Young African Library Innovators) will expose emerging public library innovators in Africa to experiences and ideas from other developing and transition economy countries.
The initiative aims to expand the professional horizons of African public librarians, and help them see their own work and achievements in a new and different light.
Click here for further details, to find out if you are eligible to apply, and to download an application form.
IYALI is a partnership among the EIFL-PLIP, the African Library and Information Associations and Institutions (AfLIA), and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA).
- Adapting EIFL ‘CAPACITY BUILDING for PUBLIC LIBRARIANS’ initiative to local Sub-Sahara Africa needs (past EIFL Call)
- About EIFL public library TRAINING initiative in Zambia
About other EIFL Initiatives ... Get involved !
With over 15 years' experience, as a not-for-profit organization, EIFL continues to build its extensive global network of national libraries, partner organizations and people, in over 60 developing and transition economy countries (in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin America) to enable access to knowledge.
EIFL IN ACTION : Browse EIFL’s work in copyright, open access, licensing, public library innovation, and the development of library consortia.
All EIFL activities have been delivered through four EIFL Programmes :
The Open Access Programme ...
...removes barriers to knowledge sharing by advocating for the adoption of open access (OA) policies and mandates, and by building the capacity to launch and sustain OA repositories and journals.
This Programme is currently involved in the two European Commission (EC) funded projects, such as:
...advocates for national and international copyright law reform, and supports librarians to become advocates for a fair copyright system.
The Public Library Innovation Programme (EIFL-PLIP) ...
... advances community development by enabling public libraries to implement innovative ideas that use technology to improve people’s lives and livelihoods.
EIFL-PLIP works to serve needs across six crucial community development issues:
The Licensing Programme ...
... negotiates affordable access to commercial e-resources, promotes awareness, and encourages usage.
Browse EIFL Licensed E-Resources available (at discounted prices to institutions in eligible countries) through EIFL Licensing Programme.
EIFL Programmes aim at helping people to access and use information for education, learning, research and sustainable community development.
- Find out more about EIFL's outcomes, by browsing EIFL collection of resources (& Webinars) on licensing, copyright for libraries, open access, library consortium development, free and open source software (FOSS) for libraries, and public library innovation:
In frame of its four Programmes, since 2011, EIFL has completed (as to January 2018) 10 Innovation Award Calls and announced the names of 37 winners in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. Meet the winners of EIFL awards.
Each year EIFL brings together (to General Assembly) national coordinators from over 60 countries to:
- debate the latest developments in electronic content delivery,
- discover emerging issues of significance to libraries,
- share achievements from library consortia over the last year.
Keep track of EIFL events:
- 17 - 19 Jan 2018 (Athens, Greece) : OpenAIRE-Advance project kick off meeting
- 12 - 16 Feb 2018 (Hanover, Germany) : ‘Book sprint’ Workshop in which the FOSTER (Facilitating Open Science Training for European Research) Project will bring together 14 Open Science trainers and educators from 10 countries to work together to write a training handbook
Spotlight on EIFL’s Webinar (November 2017) on …
- free open source extension of DSpace that has the institutional repository as its core component, and also stores and manages data about research conducted at an institution.
More about DSpace:
- 2018 IFLA World Library and Information Congress Participation GRANTS... & MORE about IFLA: Get Involved !
- License your Research Data with help of FACT SHEET on CREATIVE COMMONS & OPEN SCIENCE
- OpenAIRE infrastructure and Services (slides, OpenAIRE Workshop Malta, January 2018)
- Organise your own Open Science Cafe & FOSTER Open Science!
- Why do Open Science & Incentivizing Data Sharing matter? Visit the African Open Science Platform to learn more
- Code for Africa : towards people-driven Open Data & Open Government
- Scholarly Communication, Digital Skills & Services and Research Infrastructure : LIBER Strategy (2018-2022)
- 31 January : Join ORCID Webinar : Enter once | Reuse often: What does this mean to research institutions?
- ACRL Request for Proposals (due by 29 January 2018) : Research Agenda on the Research Environment and Scholarly Communication System
- 3 March 2018 : Open Data Day : You are invited ! Get inspired !
- Call for Papers : ICSD 2018 : 6th International Conference on Sustainable Development (12- 13 September 2018 Rome, Italy)