In collaboration with CODATA China, CODATA is running an International Training Workshop Open Data for Better Science, for Researchers from Lower and Middle Income Countries. The workshop will take place at the Computer Network Information Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing from 16-29 July 2017. The deadline for applications is 25 April.
The training program offered aims to
Topics include, but are not limited to:
- interdisciplinary applications of open research data;
- data intensive research;
- data management policies;
- cloud computing;
- analytics and data;
- infrastructure development in the Big Data Age.
are researchers from countries with developing or emerging economies. Applications are invited from:
1) early career researchers with an interest in data science and Big Data; and,
2) research leaders and managers of research organisations who are interested in putting on a similar short course at their institution.
The total number of participants will not exceed twenty-five.
Participants will benefit also from...
Through a mix of theoretical study, workshop and practical sessions as well as field visits, the organizers aim to help participants develop a deeper expertise in the latest Big Data technologies for scientific discovery. A number of activities will be organized involving elite Chinese scientists, in order to promote knowledge sharing and to develop opportunities for future exchanges and collaboration. Participants will benefit also from visits to a number of leading research institutes of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). In these visits, participants will have the opportunity to learn from:
- the scientific approach;
- management expertise;
- knowledge development and practical application
which characterize activities at CAS institutes working at the frontiers of research.
Furthermore, the program will promote interaction and exchange of knowledge between experts and participants and among participants who will benefit greatly from exchanges with colleagues for a variety of academic and national backgrounds.
English. Participants should have good command of English.
Participants Qualifications and Requirements For Admissions
- Although not an absolute requirement, it will be considered an advantage in the selection process for participants to be nominated by his/her National Committee of CODATA by a CODATA Task Group, or to be otherwise involved in CODATA, ICSU-WDS or RDA activities or in an ICSU sponsored programme;
- Applicants should be under 50 years old and meet the requirements set in ‘Participants’ above;
- Applicants must be proficient in English reading, listening, speaking and writing and must indicate appropriate qualifications or similar to demonstrate this in their applications and/or CV;
- Applicants agree to prepare a review paper on the development of data science, Open Science and Big Data in her/his respective country and research;
- Applicants must pledge to observe all the laws and regulations of the P.R. China and respect local customs during the training period in China;
- Applicants must declare that they are in good health, with no infectious disease, and physically capable to fulfill all course activities.
- The expenditure of training, international travel costs, board and lodging, local transportation for the purpose of training during the training period in China for the participants is to be funded by Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- All the other possible expenses, such as visa fee, insurance, cost of medical care, and telephone fee during the training period will be borne by the participants
- The program organizer will buy Personal Accident Insurance for all participants during their training.
Examination and Certificate
When the program is completed, trainees will be awarded the Certificate of Program Completion. Participants will be required to write a paper and make a presentation on their own country’s system of science and technology research and development.
Date and Duration
The training program will take place from 16-29 July 2017.
Computer Network Information Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences Address: No.4, Nan 4th, Zhongguancun, Haidian District, Bejing, CHINA
Applications should be completed on
the designated form, providing all the requested information and an academic CV.
Completed applications should be submitted to
both the addresses below by the deadline of 23.59 UTC on 25 April 2017:
Dr. Simon Hodson, Executive Director, CODATA: simon [at] codata.org <http://codata.org/>
Ms. LI Chang, CODATA-China Secretariat: lichang [at] cnic.cn <http://cnic.cn/>