JOIN OPEN DATA IN AGRICULTURE WORKSHOP
Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA) and it’s GODAN Action partners in collaboration with Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) are pleased to announce an OPEN DATA IN AGRICULTURE WORKSHOP to be held during International Data Week in Gaborone, Botswana on 6 November 2018.
The workshop will be part of a two-day meeting of the Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) at the RDA Pre-Plenary meeting and it will provide an overview of open data in agriculture and nutrition and help participants to make better use or share open data.
The workshop will provide users with the knowledge and specific skills they need to understand and use open data effectively and responsibly, and to participate fully in the agricultural open data community.
The training will have an online and face-to-face component.
● One (1) week online pre-workshop training – 29 October- 2 November 2018 (requires approx. 10 hours to complete)
● One (1) full day workshop 08.30am - 5pm, 6 November 2018 in Gaborone, Botswana
Infomediaries Including private and public sector - ICT professionals, information specialists, journalists, extension officers, and communication specialists. Those who take data as input and create outputs for others.
Researchers: Including private and public sector, communicate their research, collaborate with others - where appropriate - and transfer and exploit knowledge for the benefit of their employer, the economy and society as a whole.
Participants will acquire the following:
● A good understanding of the definition, significance, benefits, and best practices relating to Open Data in agriculture and nutrition.
● Techniques to search, acquire, evaluate, and select open data from a diverse set of sources.
● Knowledge and application of open data licenses.
● Approaches to clean and validate data where necessary.
● Techniques in data analysis and visualization and data storytelling.
● Best practices for presenting, citing, and sharing data publicly.
● Understand good data management practices and apply the principles of conceptual frameworks for sharing open data
There is no registration fee to participate in the course. Very limited sponsorship is available towards travel. Participants or their organisations may therefore need to be fully responsible for all costs related to participation in the event, including travel, accommodation and subsistence.
Please note that participation is required for both the online and face-to-face component. The registration form is available HERE.
Registration will close on Wednesday, 10 October 2018
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UPCOMING : TAKE ACTION NOW !
- International Data Week 5-8 November 2018 (Gaborone, Botswana, Africa) - Registration Open!
- Invitation to the Interest Group in Agricultural Data (IGAD) RDA Pre-Meeting P12 (5-6 November, 2018, Gaborone, Botswana, Africa)
- Apply for the CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science. Deadline: 30 September 2018
- Ready for Open Access Week? 22-28 October 2018, Globally!
- Register to B·Debate: Open Science: from values to practice. Building a roadmap for transformative change (4-5 October, Barcelona)
- CALL FOR PROPOSALS: BLOCKCHAIN USE CASES IN AGRICULTURE. CALL FOR PROPOSALS - DEADLINE MONDAY 12 NOVEMBER 2018
AIMS.FAO.ORG is looking forward towards creating awareness of the work done in Open Access, Open Data, Open Science through dialogue, capacity development, collaboration and diversity, - in this way science can be advanced much faster, addressing the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals).
And, thanks again for your interest !