The Africa Information Highway (AIH) - launched by the Statistics Department of African Development Bank Group (AfDB) in 2012, as part of the Bank’s statistical capacity building program (SCB) in Africa - represents a mega network of live open data platforms (ODPs) electronically linking all African countries and 16 regional organizations.
|The overall objective of the AIH is to revolutionize quality data management and dissemination in Africa, and thus significantly increase public access to accurate official and other statistics across Africa and inform national development policies and strategies.|
Since launching the AIH, the African Development Bank Group has expanded to the system to include a variety of topically-specific portals:
- Feed Africa - Agriculture;
- Climate change;
- Health, among others, -
ensuring in this way a one single-stop center for capturing and sharing development data in Africa. The expansion program has included a notable addition of the Sustanaible Development Goals (SDGs) Data Hubs to facilitate monitoring of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development across Africa. The AIH also includes a new portal system for meeting the Bank’s own data needs for monitoring the development impact of its interventions in African countries; and to ensure that these are in line with its High 5s transformation agenda for Africa for the period 2015-2025.
For more information, please:
- Open Data and Africa, by S.Leonelli, B.Rappert, L.Bezuidenhout, in Data Science Journal, 17, p.5. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/dsj-2018-005. This paper highlights the challenges of implementing Open Data in low-resourced research environments and documents the significant impact – positive or negative - that a shift towards openness can have in the African context
- Open Up Guide for Agriculture launched by GODAN and the Open Data Charter
- Tanzania Open Data Portal and Four tailored E-learning modules to help clean, organise, publish and use its data
- openAFRICA : the largest independent repository of open data on the African continent
- Build sustainable Open Data Portals with European Data Portal practical guide
- Implement effective Open Data & Keep it alive with Open Data TOOLKIT
- Do you want to support your organisation in publishing open data? Take a look at EU_DataPortal Open Data Goldbook for Data Managers and Data Holders
- Recommendations for sustainable Open Data Portals
- Why do Open Science & Incentivizing Data Sharing matter? Visit the African Open Science Platform to learn more
- The Science, Technology & Innovation Strategy for Africa 2024 (STISA-2024). AOSP & AGORA efforts in support of its implementation through facilitation of relevant data access
- Read the full Disaster Risk Reduction and Open Data Newsletter (CODATA, December 2018)
- Data Sharing : there is no One-Size Fits-All solution ...
- The World Data Forum 2018 in Dubai at the end of October 2018 hosted a session on National Data Platforms for SDG Reporting: Principles, approaches, and experiences: check out the newly published session outcomes
Measuring Data Use: An Analysis of Data Portal Web Traffic (Report, 2018, Open Data Watch)
Open Data Demand. Toward an Open Data Demand Assessment and Segmentation Methodology (Report, 2018, GOVLAB, AFD, IDB)
- Recorded Webinar: Data Management basics (UK Data Service)
- Recorded Webinar : Using Open Data (The Open Data Institute)
- Recorded Webinar : What is GODAN (Global Open Data for Agriculture)?
- Recorded Webinar: The GENDER & OPEN DATA intersection (GODAN Action)
- Take a look at Open Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition Online Course Units
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -