Focus on the Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) Pre-meeting and the 7th RDA Plenary
IGAD – the Interest Group on Agricultural Data which operates as part of the Research Data Alliance (RDA), hosted two days of pre-conference meetings 28 – 29th Feb ahead of the RDA 7th Plenary (RDA P7) conference 1st – 3rd March 2016.
Following the pre-meeting there were two IGAD feedback sessions during the Plenary (Tuesday 1 March from 11.30 – 16:00) where the Group discussed its findings and collaboration with the Global Open Data in Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN).
50 IGAD members – split into three key discussion groups on 1. Data Interoperability and Availability, 2. Soil Data and 3. Rice Data and came up with concrete plans of action aimed at opening up access to agricultural data – the RDA’s mission that were presented in the first outbreak session of the RDA Plenary.
The second outbreak session in the RDA Plenary was moderated by GODAN chair André Laperrière who raised a discussion on the ethics, advantages and disadvantages of open data, including tackling data unreliability and misuse.
Click here to find out more about the results of the IGAD Pre-Meeting and outbreak session on the 7th RDA Plenary.
Highlights from the Community on The IGAD Pre-Meeting ant the 7th RDA Plenary
- AgGateway : expanding eBusiness in Agriculture through eConnectivity. AgGateway a non-competitive collaborative environment of businesses that was recently presented during the IGAD Pre-plenary meeting. More info
- Highlights from first and second IGAD outbreak sessions at RDA P7. Discussion groups from the IGAD breakout sessions produced some interesting results. More info
- Research Data Alliance 7th Plenary meeting - what is it and why is it important for IGAD? The Research Data Alliance (RDA) is a global data-sharing initiative that aims to open up access to data. More info
- IGAD pre-conference meeting kicks off 28 Feb in Tokyo, followed by two IGAD feedback sessions during the RDA Plenary 7Big topics on the pre-meet agenda include rice research data, data access and availability and agricultural data interoperability. More info
- Presentations from the Interest Group for Agricultural Development (IGAD) pre meeting and RDA P7 to be published on Open Knowledge Agricultural Data (OKAD). We’re happy to announce that slides and presentations from both the IGAD pre-meet and subsequent RDA P7 will be published on OKAD. More info
- The countdown is on to IGAD’s first pre-meeting of 2016. What is the RDA and how is IGAD part of it? More info
Conferences and Workshops
- Lansing. Global Digital Humanities Symposium
- Bournemouth. UKSG 39th Annual Conference and Exhibition: Bournemouth
- Montreal. 25th World Wide Web Conference
- Vienna. COAR Annual Meeting and Conference
- Taipei. IEEE BigMM 2016
- Virtual. NISO Virtual Conference: Justifying the Library - Using Assessment to Justify Library Investments
- San Diego. 3rd Annual Digital Initiatives Symposium
More events at the AIMS Calendar
- 06th April 2016. Joint Webinar@AIMS: SKOS in Two Parts: Generic Tools and Methods for SKOS-based Concept Schemes, by Osma Suominen - in cooperation with the Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI)
- 12th April 2016. Webinar@AIMS on Research4Life: La bibliothèque qui ouvre ses portes (FR) - in cooperation with Research4Life
What does “Research Data Alliance (RDA)” stand for? RDA aims to accelerate and facilitate research data sharing and exchange by implementing the technology, practice, and connections that make Data Work across barriers. ("About RDA," RDA)
The scope of the AIMS Newsletter is to bring under the attention of the AIMS community recent news, events and achievements in the field of agricultural information management. If you have any contribution, suggestion, or need assistance with the newsletter, please contact us at AIMS@fao.org. You received this message because you are subscribed to the AIMS Newsletter