Focus on the Joint Meeting of IGAD on the RDA 8th Plenary
The Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) is looking forward to the 8th Research Data Alliance (RDA) Plenary that will take place during the International Data Week (IDW) in Denver, CO (USA) from the 15th to the 17th of September 2016. Two sessions will be organized by IGAD and both will take place on the first day of the RDA Plenary (15th of September).
RDA was established in 2013 and funded by several European Agencies. The alliance aims to lower barriers for research data exchange and organizes two plenaries every year, where experts of different domains get the opportunity to network and exchange ideas about how to facilitate access to research data. IGAD is one of the 48 interest groups of RDA and focuses on good practices with regard to management, sharing and interoperability of global agricultural data. The group was established in 2013 and has grown to more than 100 members so far.
The 8th RDA Plenary will be organized as one of three complementary events during the IDW with the theme ‘From Big Data to Open Data: Mobilizing the Data Revolution’. The other two events will be the “SciDataCon 2016 – Advancing the Frontiers of Data in Research” and the International Data Forum. All three events in conjunction will bring together data scientists, researchers, industry leaders, entrepreneurs and policy makers from all over the world with the objective to explore how to exploit best the data revolution.
IGAD at the 8th RDA Plenary
The first IGAD session at the RDA plenary will focus on the state of the art of Agricultural Data and Semantics. The session will be introduced by Imma Subirats (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and moderated by Ben Schaap (Global Open Data in Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN). Four experts from North American institutions (UC Davis Library, Albert R. Mann Library of Cornell University, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and Ag Connections) will present current research data management challenges, semantic solutions and supportive institutional policies.
The second session will introduce the four IGAD Working Groups, their activities and consolidation. The working groups focus on research data interoperability within different areas of the agricultural domain: Wheat Data, Rice Data, Soil Data and Agrisemantics. Another presentation during this session will review the Forums on Open Data and Open Science in Agriculture in Africa (Namibia, Kenya and Ghana) that have been organized within the last six months since the 7th RDA Plenary Meeting in Japan. Two additional presentations will be given about the On-Farm Data Sharing (OFDS) Interest Group and about the role of research data in agricultural information access initiatives.
If you would like to be part of the 8th RDA Plenary and visit the two IGAD sessions, you can register here.
- Guidelines on FAIR Data Management in Horizon 2020. The European Commission has released new guidelines on research data generated from Horizon2020 projects. More info
- GODAN Working Group on Capacity Development. The GODAN Capacity Development Working Group aims to draw from the development of a capacity building plan to foster engagement among members. More info
- Attention Data Owners: GODAN seeks new datasets to open in Project 8 ahead of Summit. Project 8 is a professional social network built around data. More info
- EIP AGRI: connecting people and compiling knowledge to speed-up innovation in agriculture and forestry. The agricultural European Innovation Partnership (EIP-AGRI) connects people and multi-actor projects. More info
- Common queries about AGRIS. AGRIS frequently receives a lot of questions and queries from registered users and also from curious AGRIS website visitors. More info
- OD4D : a Leaders Network of Open Data developing Open Data solutions. Open Data for Development (OD4D) is a global network of leaders in the Open Data community. More info
- Librarians’ Competencies for e-Research and Scholarly Communication. The Joint Task Force on Librarians Competencies for e-Research and Scholarly Communication announced the publication of two Librarians’ Competencies Profiles. More info
Upcoming Conferences, Workshops, Webinars
- Conference. RDA Eighth Plenary During International Data Week. More info
- Conference. International Data Week (IDW) . More info
- Conference. GODAN Summit 2016. More info
- Conference.12th International Conference on Semantic Systems. More info
- Conference. Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web Conference (KESW). More info
- Conference. 11th International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM 2016). More info
- Conference. Digital Infrastructures for Research. More info
- Conference. The 8th Conference on Open Access Scholarly Publishing (COASP). More info
- Conference. Welcome to ICRI 2016. More info
More events at the AIMS Calendar
The scope of the AIMS Newsletter is to bring under the attention of the AIMS community recent news, events and achievements in the field of agricultural information management. If you have any contribution, suggestion, or need assistance with the newsletter, please contact us at [email protected]. You received this message because you are subscribed to the AIMS Newsletter