Rangelands West project: questions
Barbara Hutchinson is responsible for the Rangelands West project and she has the following questions / requirements:
1) Can we accommodate metadata from multiple partners without defining a standard?
· Introduced fields from future partners, i.e. map from one standard to another?
· Advantages/Disadvantages to modified Dublin Core vs. AGRIS AP – Why follow these standards?
· (NOTE: as of yesterday, we completed a draft of a tentative metadata format that incorporates aspects of D.C. as well as others – we can share if that would be of help)
2) How do we implement AGROVOC controlled vocabulary?
· Can we just use a subset related to “rangelands”?
· Does Drupal need to be set up as a multilingual site to support AGROVOC? Can we use only English terms for now?
· What challenges will we face when we want to use multilingual controlled vocabulary?
3) Do we need to be OAI-PMH compliant or some other standard for interoperability?
4) Should we consider incorporating automatic indexing of external websites (not entering metadata?)
5) Need to consider options given we only have two part-time programmers available to implement system.
CORE FUNCTIONALITY FOR GLOBAL RANGELANDS
1) DRUPAL PLATFORM (MySQL)
2) Easily add, edit, update metadata from other partners – implies manual data entry or automatic (bulk) metadata
- Access resource (links, phone, fax, email, and/or mail?)
3) Harvest metadata from multiple sources, i.e. FAO full-text, journal archives, current RangelandsWest metadata, future partners, CGIAR-related range resources
· Metadata source is easily identifiable (logo, branding)
4) Store Digital Content (Images, Maps, PDF’s, Reports) (unrelated to metadata)
5) Store Articles related to the metadata (Use Permission)
6) Search capability that is “better than Google”
· Relevancy – discovery, avoid false positives
· Faceted Search
· Geographic, temporal
· Author, Date
7) Browseable Categories (pre-canned searches)
8) Browse content by format or some other category tbd (pre-canned searches)
9) Make our metadata available
· Feeds, services (offer feeds of new content, etc.)
· File experts (BibTxt, RofWorks)
10) Other wish list items (partial)
a. Customized home pages for local content (partner state sites)
b. Social Networking applications (users engaged in development of site/forums etc)
c. Options for mobile users; dial-up users?
d. Print pages
e. Leaving site notification
f. Help tools