On the 30 November, 2018, the Africa Open Data Network (AODN) in conjunction with the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (GPSDD) and Big Data for Development (BD4D) project hosted a webinar on The Africa Regional Data Cube (ARDC).
The Africa Regional Data Cube is a new tool that harnesses the latest Earth observation and satellite technology to help Kenya, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Ghana, and Tanzania address food security as well as issues relating to agriculture, deforestation, and water access.
|AFRICAN REGIONAL DATA CUBE (ARDC) - based on the Open Data Cube (ODC) infrastructure - LAUNCHED (May 2018)|
The webinar was led by NASA's Dr. Brian Killough
Dr. Brian Killough has been with NASA for 31 years. He currently leads the Committee on Earth Observing Satellites (CEOS) Systems Engineering Office (SEO). The SEO supports the international CEOS organization which is comprised of 60 Space Agencies and organizations coordinating satellite earth observation data for enhanced societal benefit. Under the leadership of Dr. Killough, the SEO has a significant role in the new Open Data Cube initiative for enhanced global use of large volumes of satellite analysis ready data. Dr. Killough received his BS degree from the University of Virginia, his MS degree from George Washington University and his PhD from the College of William and Mary. He has authored over 20 technical papers and received the NASA Exceptional Service Medal in 2016.
DID YOU KNOW?
Building on the Africa Regional Data Cube and the Digital Earth Australia program, developed by Geoscience Australia, Digital Earth Africa will use data cube technology to translate over 30 years of Earth observation satellite imagery into information and insights on the changing African landscape and coastline.
Digital Earth Africa will use Open Data Cube technology that underpins Digital Earth Australia and the Africa Regional Data Cube.
- The Africa Regional Data Cube: Harnessing Satellites for SDG Progress
- GEOGLAM - Improving the use of EO (Earth Observation) for Agricultural Monitoring (recorded GODAN Webinar)
- Advancing the use of Earth Observation Data for critical issues relating to Land, Climate, Food and Nutrition in AFRICA
- Open Data Cube (ODC): an open source project to better manage Satellite Data
- DATA-DRIVEN AGRICULTURE (Recorded Webinars; GFAR / CTA / GODAN)
- FAO Mobile phone App to monitor & combat Fall Armyworm
- Data Management concepts and terms: discover Data Thesaurus
- GDPR Data Portability and Core Vocabularies published: read new ISA2 study
- Free e-lectures on Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) Marine DATA and SCIENCE
- Enabling FAIR Data across the Earth, Space, and Environmental Sciences (ESES)
- VIDERUM: an Open Data solutions Provider to create, maintain, deploy technology for public sector
- Implement effective Open Data & Keep it alive with Open Data TOOLKIT
- The State of Open Data 2018 - Figshare Report
- Welcome to GODAN Action Open Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition Online Course