Call for Proposals: 50x2030 Research Grant Competition
The 50x2030 Initiative is sponsoring its second competition for novel research projects that use 50x2030 data. Small grants – from US $1,000-$8,000 – will be issued for projects that employ 50x2030 survey data to generate practical research that can be applied to national policymaking, program (re)design or investment decisions. The Initiative will then feature outputs of the supported research at the Global Data Use Conference in November 2022 and through other outlets.
What is the purpose of this Grant Competition?
The data use competition aims to facilitate the building of evidence-informed policies for rural development and food security.
What were the results of the 50x2030 Grant Competition in 2021?
In 2021, the 50x2030 Initiative awarded grants to eighteen research teams and/or individuals from five countries: Cambodia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Senegal, and Uganda. The results of these eighteen research projects were showcased in the inaugural 50x2030 Global Data Use Conference in December 2021.
Who can apply?
Local researchers in five partner countries-- Cambodia, Ethiopia, Uganda, Georgia and Senegal– will be eligible to apply.
What are the requirements to apply?
- provide clear research questions which address a gap in knowledge linked to the stated objectives of the 50x2030 Initiative and the study country’s policies and priorities,
- explain and provide expected relationships and documentation on how the research would inform practical policy decisions linked to rural development and food security within the study country,
- identify what data it will use,
- describe the analysis methods to be used,
- identify the target audience for the research in a manner consistent with the stated objectives of the 50x2030 Initiative,
- provide a budget between $1000 - $8,000,
- provide a timeline to complete the research by September 2022, and
- lay out a print and/or online dissemination and communication strategy to promote the research output.
When to apply
Applicants can submit their applications starting from April 1, 2022. The window for applications will remain open until funds are exhausted or until May 31, 2022—whichever occurs first.
Winners will be announced on a rolling basis as awards are made starting 1 April 2022.
Please email your questions/inquiries to [email protected].