Focus on the 2nd Edition of the Spanish Training Course “Introduction to Research Data Management”
Read the original Spanish version of the text here.
The second edition of the Spanish four-week training course “Introducción a la Gestión de Datos de Investigación” (“Introduction to Research Data Management”) was successfully completed in June 2016. 42 participants from eight Spanish speaking countries (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Spain, Mexico and Peru) shared activities and experiences about research data management.
Feedback and lessons learned from the first edition were used to improve this course: the training was designed to be more practical; facilitated on a simpler platform and focussed on participants’ daily work. The mixture of professionals with different backgrounds and their subsequent active participation in the course enriched the learning experience of fellow participants and their interaction with the professors. The whole group learned many aspects related to the topic through examples from participants’ institutions, thanks to the vivid participation and interaction in forums. The examples included the adaption of the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) for the biodiversity information system of Colombia; the implementation of the institution’s data infrastructure (I2D) of Humboldt University and the online portal “landportal.info” which is a pioneer experience of open data re-usage.
The course was structured into four units and for each unit a question section was provided to check the understanding of the training contents. Additionally, audio-visual material such as videos and webinars were provided. This year, Xavier García-Massó, researcher of the University of Valencia, gave a presentation about producing and sharing data. Also an interview was organized with Richard Fulss and Jesús Herrera de la Cruz, who manage research data in the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT). The recordings of i-Marine, Dataverse and Figshare presented successful case studies at global level.
The course was organized as part of the Capacity Development function of the Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) of the Research Data Alliance (RDA), coordinated by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The idea of an online course on data management aimed specifically at users in Latin America came about at the San Diego RDA Meeting to introduce to Spanish speakers involved in agricultural research to new trends on data management. The selection of professors was coordinated by Imma Subirats (FAO): Luis M. González (University of Valencia, Spain) and Fernanda Peset (Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain). The organizers are happy to emphasize the successful path of Carolina García Ayala (Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT), Cali, Colombia), whose participation and submitted activities were rated with the maximum grade.
A third edition of the “Introduction to Research Data Management” course in Spanish is foreseen in the near future. The objective will be to train different professionals to outline roadmaps of research data management for researchers, information professionals and the individual research facilities.
- SHARE: making research widely accessible, discoverable, and reusable. SHared Access Research Ecosystem (SHARE) is a network of cross-institutional digital repositories providing access to and preserving the intellectual assets.More info
- Call for papers: Open Data Research Symposium for agriculture and nutrition at GODAN Summit. The GODAN Summit is the first global conference organized by GODAN, convening all interested in the opening of agriculture and nutrition data. More info
- SCHOLIX: A Global Framework for Publishing Data Services Linking Publications and Datasets. A number of key global players in research information announced the launch of Scholix (Scholarly Link Exchange) framework. More info
- AGORA: What’s in a name? AGORA covers the full spectrum of the biological, environmental and social sciences. Its peer-reviewed publications cut through 22 subjects. More info
- Land Portal: improving land governance and securing land rights for landless and vulnerable people. The Land Portal was launched in 2014 for the collection, sourcing, and searching of data on land governance and land use. More info
- TAPedia: enhancing knowledge exchange in support of Capacity Development for Agricultural Innovation Systems. TAPipedia is an information sharing system that aims to facilitate capacity development in agricultural innovation in the tropics. More info
- "Open Data and African Research” Special Issue - Call for Papers. This special issue aims to explore how and why, and scientists in developing countries share and re-use data. More info
Upcoming Conferences, Workshops, Webinars
- Conference. IFLA World Library and Information Congress 82nd IFLA General Conference and Assembly. More info
- Conference. 20th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries. More info
Workshop. 15th European Networked Knowledge Organization Systems. More info
- Conference. International Data Week (IDW) . More info
- Conference.12th International Conference on Semantic Systems. More info
- Conference. 2016 International Library Symposium. More info
- Conference.GODAN Summit 2016. More info
- Conference. RDA Eighth Plenary During International Data Week. More info
- Conference. The 8th Conference on Open Access Scholarly Publishing (COASP). More info
- Conference. 11th International Conference on Digital Information Management (ICDIM 2016). More info
- Conference. Knowledge Engineering and Semantic Web Conference (KESW). More info
More events at the AIMS Calendar
The scope of the AIMS Newsletter is to bring under the attention of the AIMS community recent news, events and achievements in the field of agricultural information management. If you have any contribution, suggestion, or need assistance with the newsletter, please contact us at [email protected]. You received this message because you are subscribed to the AIMS Newsletter