Global Open Data for Agriculture & Nutrition: Success Stories (GODAN)
Global Open Data for Agriculture & Nutrition: Success Stories, Issue 2
Foreword: The Data Revolution
This second issue of open data success stories demonstrates the importance and the key role that open data plays in supporting innovation in agriculture and nutrition across the globe...
Since our first book of success stories, GODAN has expanded from 250 partners to over 500. We have seen our partner’s research data provide new tools for making geospatial data more accessible to all and encourage the flow of best practices from one continent to another. Our partners have stressed the importance of access to reliable nutrition data, which is now seen as an integral part of the global food security agenda.
Open data presents us with huge opportunities. But how do we deliver a responsible data revolution that leaves no one behind? As science-led thinking evolves and more data becomes available, we learn also more about obstacles that make increased agricultural productivity even more challenging than we initially thought.
Success in open data initiatives looks different depending on one’s perspective. For some, simply kicking off an open data initiative is a huge success while for others, success is a clear policy outcome or an improvement in human nutrition. Additionally, we also need to be able to articulate where we fail as well as succeed, and most importantly learn and do better next time", - André Laperriere, GODAN Executive Director.
- Welcome to Open Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition Online Course
- GODAN e-learning course on Open Data & Research Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition and related resources
- Digital and data-driven agriculture opportunities for smallholders focus of new white paper from GFAR, GODAN and CTA (report, May 22, 2018)
- From open weather data to accessible weather information services for smallholder farmers (GODAN policy brief, 2018)
- GODAN Action presents project lessons in Berlin (21-23 March 2018)
- The Necessity for OPEN DATA on Land & Property Rights: a LandPortal & GODAN Action briefing paper (2018)
- The GENDER & OPEN DATA intersection (GODAN Action recorded webinar, 2018)
- DATA-DRIVEN AGRICULTURE (Recorded Webinars; GFAR / CTA / GODAN, 2018)
- Donor Open Data Policy and Practice: An Analysis of Five Agriculture Programmes (GODAN report, 2017)
- Ownership of Open Data: Governance Options for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN report, 2017)
- ASTI provide open-source data pool on agricultural research systems across developing world (GODAN report, 2017)
- Open data improves South African irrigation and water management (GODAN report, 2017)
- Moisture reading sensors supported by open data for improved irrigation (GODAN report, 2017)
- GODAN Capacity Development on Open Data
- GODAN toolbox (free resources to advocate for Open Data)
- GODAN'S open data documentary web series
- Open Data Day 2018
And, thanks again for your interest !