Navigating Extension Advisory Services through DIGITAL DISRUPTION
"Digital disruption is an effect that changes the fundamental expectations and behaviors in a culture, market, industry or process that is caused by, or expressed through, digital capabilities, channels or assets" (Gartner)
Digital disruption is happening across industries (agriculture is no longer an exception!) bringing significant values to individuals and organizations. We are spotting disruptive trends in commerce, health, hotel, governance, banking industries, but have seldom tried to relate them to rural advisories and agricultural development. What could be done to leverage the strengths of digital disruption requires a bit of analysis.
The blog A TREATISE ON “NAVIGATING EXTENSION ADVISORY SERVICES THROUGH DIGITAL DISRUPTION”, by Shaik N.Meera - in AESA (Agricultural Extention in South Asia), October 2018 - is about this.
The content of the aforementione blog is presented in the following sections:
1. Give Farmers what they want
2. Start-up Digital disruption - where do we stand?
2.1. Current avenues for digital disruption from pilots from public sector
2.2. Start-up based digital disruptions models
2.3. Strategies to redesign practices public extension systems
3. Winning the game of disruption – extension way
4. Navigating through Digital Disruption
- Visit AESA portal and learn more about Big Data, Internet of Things and much more
- ICTs and agricultural extension services (FAO of the UN e-Agriculture)
- Agricultural extension and advisory services (The Innovation Policy Platform, World Bank & OECD)
- Research and Extention (FAO of the UN)
- What role can agricultural extension and advisory services play in realizing gender equality and improved nutrition? (FAO of the UN)
- The state of agricultural extension and advisory services provision in Malawi (FAO of the UN)
- Contribution of extension and advisory services to agriculture development in Egypt (FAO of the UN)
- Big Data in Smart Farming – A review, by Sjaak Wolfert et al., in Agricultural Systems 153 (2017)
- Agriculture Extension Field Guide - Example (capacity4dev.eu)
- AI & Linked Open Data for Innovation in Extension (eXtension4U)