Opening Access to Joint Research Center Data (JRC) Catalogue
The JRC: Joint Research Center Data (JRC) Catalogue is the EC’s “in-house science service which employs scientists to carry out research in order to provide independent scientific advice and support to EU policy.” Data generated by the JRC and partners is made available via the beta catalogue, which is being integrated with the European Data Portal.
For an overview of JRC data, visit:
The JRC's data policy is driven by transparency with the aim of contributing to innovation. It is a pillar of the development and implementation of scientific knowledge management at the JRC. It follows the commitments and regulatory basis of the Commission Decision on the reuse of Commission documents (2011/833/EU).
The objectives for adopting and implementing the JRC data policy include:
- Share and use data on the basis of the JRC Open Data principles: fully, freely, openly and timely;
- To be transparent on the reasons for restricted access to certain data;
- Provide a coordinated approach to the acquisition of data by the JRC;
- Facilitate management, broaden access and use of JRC data;
- Reinforce goals of Horizon 2020;
- Support EU implementation of the G8 Open Data Charter;
- Continuously support evidence-based decision making and research;
- Ensure that JRC data is made available through the EU Open Data Portal.
For a successful implementation process, the JRC's data policy lays down implementation principles with respect to responsible entities, overall implementation guidelines, and their individual elements like data management plans, as well as the monitoring of its implementation.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) Visitors' Centre is located at JRC Ispra, Italy. It offers lots of interactive exhibits which explain the many areas of JRC research. Find out more here
JRC welcomes all inquiries, comments and suggestions about the work of the JRC HERE.
The JRC is a Directorate-General of the European Commission. Its Board of Governors assists and advises the Director-General on matters relating to the role and the scientific, technical and financial management of the JRC.
Comprised of strategy and coordination, knowledge production, knowledge management and support directorates, the JRC is spread across six sites in five different countries within the EU.
For a more details look at our organisational structure, you can download the JRC organigramme.
- EUI Data Portal
- EUI Data Services
- Barriers in working with Open Data and Ways to cope with these barriers
- Re-using Open Data ...: a new European Data Portal study report
- openAFRICA : the largest independent repository of open data on the African continent
- INRA2025 : Open Science priority, Data sharing and much more
- Recommendations for sustainable Open Data Portals