GODAN (Global Open Data for Agriculture & Nutrition) invites you to its next webinar:
- TITLE: THE GENDER & OPEN DATA INTERSECTION
DATE : May 16, 2018 (Wednesday)
- TIME: 4:00 PM CEST.
This webinar forms part of GODAN Action's capacity development work, which is one of three focal areas.
|REGISTER ME HERE|
In this webinar, Ana Brandusescu from World Wide Web Foundation will discuss open data through a gender lens, and address the current state, challenges, and recommendations to pave the way forward.
Gender and open data efforts are often siloed. Locally and nationally, there are women’s groups, digital rights groups, and gender experts, but rarely do they cross-collaborate.
While global initiatives and partnerships have been established, they have yet to integrate vertically and horizontally. Furthermore, the open government data movement still has a long way to go. Women are less likely to be online than men; less likely to be consulted on the design of data policies and initiatives; under-represented among the ranks of data scientists; and often uncounted in official statistics.
The gender and open data intersection can be used to open up a conversation on the current state of government data, and how it can be improved. Ultimately, women should use open data to empower themselves.
Open data must be used to support women and their needs as well as address the role governments play to support these efforts with data and create better citizen-state engagement.
This is about data equity : data that everyone can access and use. But how do we get there?
- From Open Data Day 2018
- Recorded Webinar : Using Open Data (The Open Data Institute)
- The Global Open Data Index (GODI), Open Data Census and Survey : Advancing the State of Open Data Through Dialogue
- Open & Big Data : shifts in roles, power relations, quality and knowledge integration
- Land Debate on Open Data and Land Governance
- DATA-DRIVEN AGRICULTURE (Recorded Webinars; GFAR / CTA / GODAN)
- The Necessity for OPEN DATA on Land & Property Rights: a GODAN Action briefing paper (2018)
- What Do We Know About the Value of Data? By Jenna Slotin, Senior Director of Policy, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (May 3, 2018)
- Agri-Foods Data Standards - A Gap Exploration Report (GODAN Action, 2018)
- All GODAN publications
- FAO VEST Registry: A global map of existing vocabularies for the exchange of data in the field of food and agriculture
- Global Agricultural Concept Schema (GACS) [GACS Google Group]
- GODAN Publication and alignment of authoritative vocabularies for food - Working Group
- Agricultural Data Interest Group (IGAD) |RDA11 meeting was dedicated to the discussion of What does FAIR mean for a community like agri-food? and What does it do about it?
- The open standards for data guidebook (Open Data Institute, April, 2018)
- GODAN e-learning course on Open Data & Research Data Management in Agriculture and Nutrition