Applications are invited to participate in the CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science which will be held at ICTP-SAIFR, Sao Paolo, Brazil, 4-15 December 2017.
To apply you must use the online form which is available HERE. The deadline for applications is 22 September 2017 !
About the CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science
What can justly be called the ‘Data Revolution’ offers many opportunities coupled with significant challenges. High among the latter is the need to develop the necessary data professions and data skills. Researchers and research institutions worldwide recognise the need to promote data skills and we see short courses, continuing professional development and MOOCs providing training in data science and research data management.
In sum, this is because of the realisation that contemporary research – particularly when addressing the most significant, inter-disciplinary research challenges – cannot effectively be done without a range of skills relating to data. These skills include:
- the principles and practice of Open Science and research data management and curation;
- the use of a range of data platforms and infrastructures, large scale analysis, statistics, visualisation and modelling techniques, software development and annotation, etc, etc.
The ensemble of these skills can be defined as ‘Research Data Science’, that is the science of research data: how to look after and use the data that is core to your research.
has developed a short course, summer school, style curriculum that addresses these training requirements.
The course partners Software Carpentry (using the Shell command line and GitHub), Data Carpentry (using R and SQL) and the Digital Curation Centre (research data management and data management plans) and builds on materials developed by these organisations.
Also included in the programme are modules on Open Science, ethics, visualisation, machine learning (recommender systems and artificial neural networks) and research computational infrastructures.
The vision of the CODATA-RDA Schools of Research Data Science is to develop into an international network which makes it easy for partner organisations and institutions to run the schools in a variety of locations. The annual event at the ICTP in Trieste will serve as a motor for building the network and building expertise and familiarity with the initiative’s mission and objectives.
The core materials are made available for reuse and the co-chairs and Working Group team will provide guidance to assist partners in organising the school, in identifying instructors and helpers etc.
The first School to expand this initiative will take place at ICTP-SAIFR (South American Institute of Fundamental Research), Sao Paolo, Brazil in December 2017.
- - Further information about the Sao Paolo edition of the CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science is available at http://www.ictp-saifr.org/?page_id=15270
- - Further information about the CODATA-RDA Schools of Research Data Science is available at http://www.codata.org/working-groups/research-data-science-summer-schools
- - Short Report on the First CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science, August 2016 https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.835565
- - Programme for the Second CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science, ICTP, Trieste, July 2017 http://indico.ictp.it/event/7974/other-view?view=ictptimetable
- - Programme for the First CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science, ICTP, Trieste, August 2016 http://indico.ictp.it/event/7658/other-view?view=ictptimetable
- - Materials from the First CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science, ICTP, Trieste, August 2016 https://zenodo.org/communities/codata-rda-research-data-science-summer-school/?page=1&size=20