02. Downloading and installing WebAgris
Please read the FAO copyright statement before installing WEBAGRIS.
There are two steps involved in installing WEBAGRIS:
- downloading and unzipping the full package;
- installing WEBAGRIS
- installing a Web Server if there is none installed; and
- installing WEBAGRIS.
1. Downloading the full package
Click here to download the full zipped package of the English version and here for the Spanish version. Unzip the file to a temporary folder on your hard disk. The Spanish version will be available soon.
Download the WEBAGRIS version 2.0 user guide, which provides the users with guidelines on the installation, the first steps on using the system as well as trouble shooting and FAQ.
Download the WWWISIS Technical Documentation, which provides details on the WWW/ISIS system for more experienced users that need to update the system or develop a new applications.
2. Installing WEBAGRIS
2.1 Installing of Web Server
To run the WEBAGRIS program, a Web Server should be running on your server machine. If you have already a Web server running, skip this step (2.1) and go to the next step (2.2).
Note: The following Web Servers have been tested and recommended for WEBAGRIS:
- Microsoft Web Server IIS.
- XITAMI web server
- Netscape's Fastrack or Enterprise Web Server
If no Web Server has been installed, we recommend Xitami Server, which you can find in the WEBAGRIS installation package or download one from: http://www.xitami.com/download.htm
The Web Server is installed only once for a given server (before the first installation of the WEBAGRIS application) and does not need to be reinstalled again with every new version of WEBAGRIS. It should be started automatically.
We provide our experience and tips on installation of WEBAGRIS under different Web servers in the "WEBAGRIS 2.0 user guide" under the following:
- Annex 1: How to install Xitami Web Server or
- Annex 2: How to install WEBAGRIS under IIS
2.2. WEBAGRIS installation
2.2.1.For users installing WEBAGRIS for the first time
Execute only steps described in chapter 2.2.2 II. below: "Installation steps for the new WEBAGRIS Version 2.0"
2.2.2. Installation of WEBAGRIS2 for users that already had previous versions
I. Preliminary Steps
- Backup your existing databases namely AGRIS and AUTH. Go to chapter 8.1 of the WEBAGRIS User guide for more details on how to backup a database. Check for the agris.bkp and auth.bkp files and make one more safe copy on a separate directory, for example C:\temp\
- Copy your WEB directory with the application (in case of the XITAMI Web server, c:\xitami\webpages) under a new name, e.g. Webpages1, and cgi-bin directory to cgi-bin1. This may be needed for reference to the old version in case changes were done in your installation or in the formats.
- Uninstall WWWISIS application. Go to Start-> Settings-> Control panel -> add/remove programs-> select WWWISIS Agris -> remove.
II. Installation steps for the new WEBAGRIS Version 2.0
- From CD-ROM: Take the installation CD-ROM (English or Spanish version) and insert it into your server CD-ROM drive or
- From FTP site: Go to the directory where the unzipped WEBAGRIS installation files were downloaded to as described in p.1 above
- run the SETUP.EXE program available on the root directory by double clicking on the program.
- Follow the installation steps indicated in Annex 3 of the WEBAGRIS users guide supplying the required data, in particular:
- The path to the Web Server document directory: destination folder containing WEBAGRIS HTML files, located under the WEB root directory e.g. for WEBAGRIS under XITAMI Web Server, this could be c:\xitami\webpages.
- cgi-bin directory. It shows where the WEBAGRIS program and configuration file should be located
- After having completed the installation procedure, reboot the computer.
Note: The AGRIS database at this point is almost empty, i.e. it contains only some test documents. If temporary records are created for testing the system, these need to be deleted. At this point, the system is ready for new data input.
III. Restore of the existing data
- As a result of the backup following the steps in section I: Preliminary Steps, p.1: "Backup your existing databases" above, the user should have a backup of the databases AGRIS and AUTH which have now to be restored. See Chapter 8.2 of the WEBAGRIS 2.0 User Guide "How to restore a database" for more details. Run full inverted file for AGRIS and AUTH databases.
IV. Adjustment of other databases to WEBAGRIS2 structure
- If a user has existing data in the AGRIS database created with WEBAGRIS version 1, adjustments need to be done to conform to the WEBAGRIS version 2.0 structure. Refer to Annex 5 of the WEBAGRIS User guide: How to adapt databases from WEBAGRIS1 to WEBAGRIS2
- If a user has already an external database, this can be imported using DOS ISIS that is provided with the new installed WEBAGRIS 2.0. If the system where the database was created has a different structure, it is necessary to pass through a reformatting Field Select Table (FST), which will adjust the fields to the structure of WEBAGRIS fields.
- If a user was using the old DOS CDS/ISIS application AGRIN. Refer to Annex 4 of the WEBAGRIS User guide and follow the steps for converting AGRIN to WEBAGRIS structure.
3. WebAGRIS Updates for older versions
This readme.doc file includes details on the WEBAGRIS updates needed to make your WebAGRIS application up to the current features and standards.
- The updates are published at the FTP site: ftp://ext-ftp.fao.org/GI/reserved/agris/software/webagris/version20/updates
- Further information on updating the AGROVOC thesaurus in your WebAGRIS installation is available at: Updating AGROVOC
For any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at: FAO-Agris-Caris@fao.org