The workshop and hackathon "Semantic Web and Ontologies in Agri-food" will take place in Paris, France from June 13-14, 2012. The workshop will last all day but is planned in two parts. The morning will be devoted to presentations and working demos. After lunch a VoCamp and hackathon session will be run.
This workshop will be held in conjunction with the SmartAgrimatics Conference
The workshop will focus on the ways semantic web and related technologies (ontologies, linked data, etc.) can be used across the food and agriculture supply chain to facilitate the exchange of information and enable the creation of additional services for farmers, transporters and processors of food, retailers and final consumers, in effect the whole supply chain.
Supply chain integration is a holy grail in many industries but given the specific challenges of the agri-food sector and its importance to society, to the economy, and to the environment, such integration is vital.
Contributions may deal with the following topics:
- requirements for agri-food systems from a semantic/linked data perspective
- theoretical and practical models for the application of semantic technologies in the agri-food domain
- interlinking lean schemas with large thesauri and providing linked open data from legacy agricultural data sources (transformation etc.)
- automated annotation of agricultural information sources
- integration of semantic methods into farm management information systems, software engineering based on ontologies
- agricultural process control and execution based upon information from semantic storage
- using existing open linked data for agri-food smartphone apps
- systems to integrate social media with semantic/linked data systems for agri-food
Abstracts should be submitted of no more than 1000 words, preferably in PDF format. Please specify if full paper or lightning talk. Submissions should be made via Easychair.
Papers will be archived online in the Agrixchange website.
- Abstract submission deadline: 30th of April 2012
- Acceptance notification and feedback: 15th of May 2012
- Workshop: within the SmartAgriMatics conference in Paris, 13th/14th of June 2012
- Daniel Martini (Association for Technology and Structures in Agriculture, KTBL)
- Christopher Brewster (Aston University)
- Yves Jaques (Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, FAO)
- Gunnar Grimnes (German Research Centre for Artificial Intelligence, DFKI)
- Paolo Castagna (Talis)
- Victoria Uren (Aston University)
- Caterina Caraciolo (Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, FAO)
- Ed Dowding (Sustaination)