AGORA (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture) is one of the four programmes making up Research4Life (R4L) facilitated by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. AGORA's goal is to provide free or low cost access (complementary to open access) to peer-reviewed journals (to date: 8279) and e-books (to date: 22.523) in agriculture and related biological, environmental and social sciences.
R4L provides a big share of peer-reviewed contents for free to institutions in group A countries and for a small fee to group B countries.
By bringing key scientific literature to students, researchers and scientists, AGORA portal has "become a crucial tool for some of the world’s poorest countries [as] access to information is key to develop agriculture and ensure food security" (R4L Press Release).
The most noticeable development in AGORA's usage context - during the last months - has been the upward growth of the number of institutions registered with AGORA/R4L programme.
In particular, during the month of May 2017, 23 AGORA requests were processed.
Thus AGORA has got 14 new institutions from the Group A countries and 2 - from the Group B (both from Nigeria).
The total of registered institutions on May 31, 2017 is: 3158 (2455 - Group A and 703 - Group B).
More about AGORA:
- Access to research in the developing world (Research4Life brochure)
- Investigación Bibliográfica sobre la Nutrición - Navegar por AGORA (Webinar@AIMS)
- Rejoignez-nous pour un webinaire sur la recherche d’information scientifique sur la nutrition – Naviguez AGORA (Webinar@AIMS)
- Literature Research on Nutrition - Browsing AGORA (Webinar@AIMS)
- Finding AGORA resources by keyword - Literature Research with Summon (Webinar@AIMS)
- Encontrar recursos en AGORA por palabra clave. Búsqueda usando Summon (Webinar@AIMS)
- Retrouver des ressources dans AGORA par mot-clé - Utiliser Summon (Webinar@AIMS)
- Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture (AGORA) (Webinar@AIMS)
- AGORA : Tracking Usage Growth : April 2017
- AGORA : Tracking Usage Growth and Capacity Development : March 2017
- Focus on Agora: Following Growth Trends In Usage And Contents (AIMS Newsletter no.55, October2016)