In October 2017, Open Knowledge Nepal - an open non-profit network of knowledge enthusiasts aiming to support data sharing and use of data - announced the Open Data Awareness Program, to raise awareness about the concept and usage of Open Data to digital natives from seven districts in Nepal.
The Open Data Awareness Program is supported by The Asia Foundation in partnership with Development Initiatives, with funding from the UK Department for International Development to facilitate and scale innovative approaches to open data to ensure benefits reach citizens in developing countries.
The Open Data Awareness Program is based on:
The objective of the Program ...
... is to make the youth of Nepal more aware of the benefits of open data, to fill in the gap of data literacy and to better prepare young people for a rapidly changing world data scenario.
As part of the program, hands-on training sessions are being organized at different colleges and youth organizations, where participants share their experiences of learning and working with open data and discuss ways to engage more young people in the open data movement in Nepal. In particular,
Through the learning program, the university students and youths will be empowered to:
- Use open data for research and new projects
- Develop innovative data tools, solutions and programming languages
- Conduct data analysis and reporting
- Add value to products and services
Throughout workshops, participants will discuss:
- What is open data and why it is of importance
- The background and history of open data
- Open data sources and stories
- Technical processes to extract, analyze, clean and visualize the available data in Nepal
The program is also an opportunity to:
- increase civic awareness and engagement and participatory governance, helping Nepal’s (future) leaders and decision-makers to be data-driven;
- help improve the chances of open data startups and initiatives emerging in the near future.
- Open Data & Science
- Help @fosterscience promote #OpenScience ! Contribute to FOSTER Resources about Open Science
- Data Sharing : there is no One-Size Fits-All solution ...
- Open Standards, Data, Source, and Innovation as Principles for Digital Development
- Articulating the value of DATA with the Australian National Data Service (ANDS)
- The future of the Global Open Data Index (GODI): assessing the possibilities
- Open Science Monitor : access to Data and trends on Open Science
- The state of Open Licensing, 2017 edition
- SCHOOL OF DATA a network of individuals and organizations working on empowering civil society organizations, journalists and citizens with skills they need to use data effectively
- Center for Open Data Enterprise: focus on Open government Data and data users
- GODAN Action - Enabling practical engagement with Open Data in agriculture and nutrition
- Britain’s Open Data Institute (ODI) is catalyzing the open-access culture
- Open Food Data aims to build a publicly available base of nutrition data, to create new innovative and value adding solutions, and to further develop the use of open data for entrepreneurial purposes
- The Open Data for Development (OD4D) program brings together a network of leading implementing partners who have a wealth of experience in developing countries (IDRC: International Developement Research Center)