On 31 May 2017, SPARC released a report providing analysis of Open Data and Open Science Policies in Europe. Produced in collaboration with the Digital Curation Center (DCC), it follows on the heels of a previous work that listed national research data policies.
“The last study attempting this kind of analysis was released in 2013, and much has changed since then,” said Martin Donnelly from DCC. “The level of insight it provides will be invaluable as countries throughout Europe continue to develop and evolve their Open Data and Open Science policies.”
# Download a free copy of the report.
This report analyes the types of policies in place, their processes of creation, and some of their details. Included in the study are the 28 EU member states, as well as countries from the European Research Area, including Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland.
Among the report’s most striking findings: 11 of the 28 European Union member states, as well as Norway and Switzerland, have national, research data-related policies in place. Of these, all were implemented in the past eight years, with most having taken effect recently. In about half of the countries, research data is covered under the same policy that applies to Open Access or Open Science.
- Open Science : What, Why, and How (PsyArXiv)
- Defining Open Science Definitions (WordPress)
- Open Science Monitor : access to data and trends on open science (AIMS)
- Look which countries are ahead in OPENING NATIONAL LAWS (Global Open Data Index, 2017)
- European Open Science Cloud (European Commission)
- Commission outlines next steps towards a European data economy (European Commission)
- Unlocking the Potential of Open Data through Community Engagement (Data Smart City Solutions)
- Gates Open Research: accelerating access to research products (AIMS)
- Unpaywall : find open access versions of paywalled articles ! (AIMS)
- Re-using Open Data ...: a new European Data Portal study report (AIMS)
- openAFRICA : the largest independent repository of open data on the African continent (AIMS)
- INRA2025 : Open Science priority, Data sharing and much more (AIMS)
- Presentations from Open Science and Open Data in Agriculture Forums and workshops published on OKAD (AIMS)
- Legal aspects of open data (Stokholm University Press)
- Legal issues on Open Research Data : How Open and FAIR is your dataset? (AIMS)
- Big and Open data Position Paper (Networked & Electronic Media)
- Understanding Barriers to Open Government Data (Open Knowledge International)
- Barriers in working with Open Data and Ways to cope with these barriers (AIMS)