ICRISAT in partnership with BOKU and IIAM advertise a facilitator/knowledge broker position in the project on Nudging Sustainability Transitions Using Innovation Platforms and Market-Oriented Development in Mozambique.
The International Crops Research Institute for the semi-arid Tropics (ICRISAT), in partnership with the University of Natural Resources and Life Science, Vienna (BOKU) and the Mozambican Agricultural Research Institute (IIAM) are partnering in this project funded by Austrian Development Agency (ADA).
The project will further develop an Innovation Platform approach, with specific emphasis on facilitating transitions towards inclusive market-oriented development of smallholder mixed crop livestock systems in Tete province.
It builds on the lessons in phase 1: Crop and livestock technologies and markets are available; market opportunities are great, but there are also enormous challenges that prevent communities from improving productivity and benefiting from the markets.
Through this project we aim at enhancing the existing IP towards inclusive market-oriented development, by
- strengthening the self-organization of the Innovation Platform in Marara Cachembe notably to increase food, feed, fuel and income from crops and forages and address the requirements for the livestock value chains,
- enhance planning and learning through better links among stakeholders, including farmers, private sector, government support services and development community at local and provincial scales,
- facilitate the IP activities and interactions, through mentoring and in interaction with the research activities.
Scope of work
The role of the facilitator is key for the success of the Innovation Platform, enhancing the effectiveness and impact of the Innovation Platform. Specific fields of work include coordination, facilitation and research support in order to:
- Strengthen partnerships among Innovation Platform members;
- Develop strategies for promoting profitable, inclusive market access for farmers;
- Document and analyze lessons learned throughout the project;
Major activities and responsibilities:
- Brokerage of information, knowledge, contacts, initiatives, partnerships among farmers, private sector, government support services, development community;
- Organize and facilitate capacity development and training of Innovation Platform members, with specific emphasis on farmers;
- Coordinate, implement and document multi-stakeholder meetings, coordinate visits of researchers and support data collection;
- Capacity development and mentoring of farmers through regular field visits and per assignment as planned in the project;
- Clear and timely communications that carry the momentum of activities and support instant learning and planning
- Report writing in English and Portuguese language
BSc (Agricultural economics; rural sociology; communication sciences; development studies or related discipline). MSc would be an advantage.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Since this position is key to support the implementation of Innovation Platforms, excellent communication and facilitation skills, strong ability in networking with multiple actors, are crucial.
- Knowledge on smallholder crop livestock production, notably technologies and market development, collective action, institutional development, innovation systems, climate variability and change in the Mozambican drylands
- Minimum of 2 years post graduate experience in research and/or development. Practical experience in stakeholder engagement and value chain development would be advantageous.
- Strong organizational skills, client orientation, and an ability to work effectively in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams
- English language (spoken and written) is a requirement, local language is an advantage
- Conversant with computers and related statistical software (SPSS, Excel, STATA, etc)
- Capable of working with limited supervision and self motivated
- The position will be based in Tete city and requires frequent traveling.
The applicant should include up-to-date curriculum vitae, the names and addresses (including fax/e-mail) of two referees. Appointment will be on local terms and on yearly renewable contracts. Salaries are attractive and nationally competitive. The position will be available August 2015 – September 2018. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be written in English language and addressed by 30 June 2015 to
- ICRISAT: Country Administrator, ICRISAT-Bulawayo, P.O. Box 776, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe [Phone +263 383 311/5; Fax +263 383 307; Email: ICRISATZW@CGIAR.ORG