Open Science Monitor : access to data and trends on open science
Monitoring open science worldwide now is possible with a new website launched as part of ongoing work for the European Commission. The monitor is going to provide policymakers and stakeholders with access to data and trends on open science.
“Open Science refers to ongoing changes in the way research is conducted: for scientists themselves, through increasing the use of open access scientific publishing and open data, and for the public, through increasing their understanding of and participation in science … Open Science is one of three priority areas for European research, science and innovation policy, “- RAND Corporation.
European Commission Research & Innovation - Open Science:
A literature review and an online consultation with invited stakeholders to select the open science characteristics, associated indicators and impact case study topics.
Indicator data were collected from other EU projects, surveys, open science companies and open science resource providers. Data visualisations were prepared using the Tableau Public software or using Excel.
The case studies were developed through desk research of primary and secondary information about each initiative, and enriched and validated through interviews with individuals involved directly in the initiatives where possible.
Drivers and barriers were identified based on the initial online consultation and through a review of articles and reports produced over a five-year period (2011-2016).
The characteristics of open science that are monitored on the Open Science Monitor website are the following:
- Open Access to research publications,
- Open Research Data,
- Open Scholarly Communication and
- Citizen Science.
The Open Science Monitor is going to:
- keep up-to-date with progress in open science as the biggest benefit;
- demonstrate that open science practices are increasing, with this potentially helping to encourage others to get involved in the process.
USE the Open Science Monitor WHEEL to explore open science characteristics and indicators. These latter are for both open access to publications and open scholarly communication.
- Figshare: simplify your research workflow and make it more visible!
- INRA2025 : Open Science priority, Data sharing and much more
- Towards open science to face agriculture challenges
- DIGITAL SCIENCE : smart support at every stage of the research cycle
- European Open Science Cloud as part of Open Science
- Open Innovation, Open Science, Open to the World
- Towards Legislative Frameworks that allow Fair Dissemination, Access to, Sharing and Use of available knowledge
- Open Science 101 project
- Moving Open Access Implementation Forward