The first release of the AgroPortal - a reference ontology repository dedicated to the requirements of the agronomic/plant community. Use AgroPortal to access and share ontologies!
AgroPortal is the result of a collaboration between: LIRMM, INRA, IRD, Bioversity International, CIRAD and the National Center for Biomedical Ontologies (NCBO) @ Stanford Univ, in order to improve Semantics in Agriculture on the Web. Sign in to AgroPortal to submit a new Ontology or ontology-based project, provide comments on Ontologies or add Ontology mappings!
The main objective of the AgroPortal project is to enable straightforward use of agronomic related Ontologies, avoiding data managers and researchers the burden to deal with complex knowledge engineering issues. AgroPortal offers a “one-stop-shop” for Ontologies that will arise awareness of the Semantic Web in Agriculture, avoid duplicated efforts, and foster adoption of common practices. The platform reuses the NCBO BioPortal infrastructure and customizes it.
As of today, it includes 38 Ontologies (FAO-IPGRI Multi-Crop Passport Ontology comprised !) which come mainly from external users, NCBO BioPortal, or driving agronomic use-cases including:
- IBC Rice Genomics & AgroLD project: rice data integration & linked RDF data from a variety of plant resources and ontologies;
- RDA Wheat Data Interoperability working group: a common framework for describing, representing, linking and publishing wheat data with respect to open standards;
- INRA Linked Open Vocabularies: vocabularies produced or co-produced by INRA scientists;
- The Crop Ontology project: a set of ontologies developed to compile validated concepts/relations on anatomy, structure and phenotype of Crops.
As the original BioPortal the AgroPortal platform enables to:
- Create Ontology-based annotations for your own text
- Link your own project that uses Ontologies to the description of those Ontologies
- Find and create relations between terms in different Ontologies
- Store and retrieve mapping between Ontologies
- Visualize Ontology content
- Search for a class in multiple Ontologies
- Browse Ontologies, review and comment their components
- Get a recommendation about which Ontology use for a text corpus or set of keywords metadata
- Store projects which use Ontologies and many other features!
The content of the platform is accessible via REST API and SPARQL endpoint:
More about AgroPortal:
- Clement Jonquet, Esther Dzalé-Yeumo, Elizabeth Arnaud & Pierre Larmande. AgroPortal : a proposition for ontology-based services in the agronomic domain, In3ème atelier INtégration de sources/masses de données hétérogènes et Ontologies, dans le domaine des sciences du VIVant et de l’Environnement, IN-OVIVE'15. Rennes, France, June 2015. pp. 5. [PDF]
[The project acknowledge the support of: French ANR, Univ. of Montpellier, CNRS, IBC of Montpellier, NUMEV].
- Wheat Data Interoperability WG outputs, RDA: https://rd-alliance.orghttp://assets.aims.fao.org.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/public/attachment/06-WG_WheatDataInteroperability.pdf
- AgroPortal was presented at the PAG meeting in San Diego January 9th and 11th (poster).
- Improving Semantics in Agriculture: http://aims.fao.orghttp://assets.aims.fao.org.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/public/Semantics_Workshop_ANSWERS.pdf http://aims.fao.orghttp://assets.aims.fao.org.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/public/Agrisemantics_participants.pdf
- Ontology-Based Services and Knowledge Management in the Agricultural Domain [slides] by Pierre Larmande: http://www.slideshare.net/CIARD_AIMS/ontologybased-services-and-knowledge-management-in-the-agricultural-domain-by-pierre-larmande
- AgroPortal in GitHub: https://github.com/agroportal
Sign in to the AgroPortal here.
Ready to connect your agricultural domain to the Semantic Web puzzle – now what?
Tell us what you think below.