AGORA (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture)
The goal of Research4Life is to reduce the knowledge gap between high-income countries and low- and middle-income countries by providing affordable access to critical scientific research.
AGORA is one of the five programmes making up Research4Life. The other four Research4Life programmes are Hinari, OARE, GOALI and ARDI, covering research in health, environment, law, development and innovation.
AGORA was launched in 2003 by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in partnership with Cornell University and up to 65 of the world’s leading science publishers.
AGORA/R4L provides free or low cost access to peer-reviewed journals and e- books (in agriculture and related biological, environmental, social and other research domains) to more than 3,400 institutions from more than 115 eligible countries*. These institutions receive free (or low cost/US $1,500 per year - for institutions in a Group B; an effective discount of over 99.9%) access to journal and book content via the joint Research4Life platform/access point.
The main purpose of AGORA is to improve the quality and effectiveness of agricultural research, education and training in low- and middle-income countries.
To REGISTER with the AGORA programme kindly click here.
NOTE: an individual cannot register to R4L. Registration is institutional and restricted to eligibility of the country and type of institution.
With research output currently booming in Africa, Asia and Eastern European countries, there is great potential for research to be promoted and ‘translated’ through AGORA into innovation across many sectors. Even though AGORA is about opening access (AGORA provides access to many full-text resources in Agricultural Research), it is not itself an Open Access initiative; AGORA and Open Access need to be seen as complementary initiatives.
Click on Content Portal tab on the AGORA home page. To search full-text inside AGORA, you can use Summon** - AGORA’s Google-like search engine. Depending on how vague specific your search is, you’ll be linked directly to scores of resources that match your keywords. You will be reminded to LOGIN to AGORA to access its content.
Some results may be restricted according to country and institution (check your access to the content by clicking on the ‘check access’ tab).
Through Forums on Open Data and Open Science - being promoted at the international level by FAO - stakeholders and target groups can enhance their skills and capacities concerning the use of AGORA and the International Information System for the Agricultural Science and Technology (AGRIS), to access to and make the best use of online, peer‐reviewed literature in agriculture and related sectors.
- Click here to learn more about AGORA
- Using the Research4Life portals
- AGORA free Online Course : Fundamentals of Information Literacy and Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture
For more information:
Promotional & Training materials:
For institutions based in Group A countries, access through Research4Life is free.
** Summon webinar "Two Sides of the Content Coin: How the Summon Index and 360 Knowledgebase Enable Discovery and Access" recording is available to be viewed as either a YouTube video or through a WebEx recording. It’s also accessible on the webinar program page
** Get Full-Text content via Research4Life enhanced with new Country-Specific Search in Summon!
- Research4Life : Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- REGISTER your institution to Research4Life: <http://registration.research4life.org> to access/use its content from AGORA, HINARI, ARDI, OARE, GOALI contents. Be careful selecting the CORRECT COUNTRY, AREA, OR TERRITORY NAME. If it is not listed, it is not eligible
- AGORA : Content offered by publishers to institutions within countries, areas and territories
- OPEN YOUR LIBRARY FOR CHANGE BY ADVOCATING FOR RESEARCH4LIFE!
- [email protected] on Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture (Filter by “AGORA”)
- Research4Life User Experiences from Global South. Get Inspired & Motivated & Share Your Story!
- Research4Life provides a Joint Launch Page to enhance your search experience
- Springer opened its entire list of journals to Research4Life: 992 additional journals from Springer are now available through AGORA
- About authorship skills (Research4Life)
- Two decades on, a research access program continues to thrive: Research4Life partners have renewed their commitment through 2025 and created a new Rule of Law program
- The Evolving Landscape of Research Access and its Impact on the Global South
- Want to take WIPO's General e-Course on Intellectual Property? Enroll here – it’s free of charge
Reviewing the research data sharing landscape (recorded webinar, SPRINGER NATURE)
- AGORA Online Course : Fundamentals of Information Literacy and Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture