Open-Access TOOLKIT 'Biodiversity Mainstreaming for Healthy; Sustainable Food Systems'
“Biodiversity is not just a luxury for the rich, it is a necessity for the poor.” (USAID)
The Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition Initiative (BFN Project) shares its new open-access guide that collects lessons learned from four partner countries - Brazil, Kenya, Sri Lanka and Turkey - to help others harness agricultural biodiversity to transform the food system for development, food security and nutrition.
Throughout its six years of experience in Brazil, Kenya, Sri Lanka, and Turkey, the BFN Project has pioneered a partner-based methodology using indigenous food biodiversity as a lens to address malnutrition, farmer livelihood resilience, and sustainability. The toolkit compiles case studies, key resources and methodologies to share the knowledge accumulated by four BFN Partners, promoting the conservation and sustainable use of local biodiversity.
Learn more from this free BFN e-learning course:
MAINSTREAMING BIODIVERSITY FOR FOOD AND NUTRITION Benefits for agriculture, health and livelihoods (in English, Portuguese, Turkish)
To date, the BFN initiative has documented and shared knowledge on 195 nutrient-rich, locally-adapted species that range from African leafy vegetables to Amazonian fruits. The BFN Project contributes to the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity’s Cross-Cutting Initiative on Biodiversity for Food and Nutrition.
Biodiversity and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is a joint publication by SCBD, UNDP, UNEP, FAO and the World Bank, launched on the occasion of the High Level Segment of COP 13 on 2 December 2016 in Cancun, Mexico. The document highlights how the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020 and its 20 Aichi Biodiversity Targets contribute to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals.The publication comprises two editions:
- Zenodo’s Biodiversity Literature Repository is a treasure-trove of FAIR data...
- Best practices in Open Access publishing (recorded webinar, Library Publishing Coalition)
Looking for open access publications about agriculture, nutrition, biodiversity and food security? Check out CGSpaceResearch
- CGIAR Capacity Building & other Efforts to Improve Food and Nutrition Security...The inside story
- 200 years of Flora: free access to all articles in ELSEVIER
- The total number of AGRIS bibliographic records reaches 9,257,658 (November 2018). AGRIS (International Information System for the Agricultural Science and Technology) is a free of charge service that provides access and visibility to research information resources in agricultural and related sectors
- Discover full-text contents in AGORA (Access to Global Online Research in Agriculture) now with 46 New Subject Categories from AGROVOC !
- Free AGORA e-Course February 2019 Edition. Call for Applications - REGISTER NOW !
- Platform for Agrobiodiversity Research (PAR) : Working together to improve Knowledge of Agrobiodiversity maintenance and use
- Agrobiodiversity considerations in land-use decisions
- Seedmap.org : an online portal on Seeds, Biodiversity and Food
- AnaEE France : a research infrastructure for the study of continental ecosystems and their biodiversity
- BIO-Diverse : for Science, Education and Communication
- Bioversity International: open research for development in agricultural and tree biodiversity
- Recommendations for improving GBIF-mediated data for agrobiodiversity research
- The Open Knowledge in Agricultural Development (OKAD) F1000Research channel is a platform for authors to share their original research findings, initiatives, case studies, perspectives and opinions relating to Open Knowledge initiatives within all areas in the context of agriculture, agri-food and agro-biodiversity
- Open Source Seed Initiative : Fair and Open Access to plant genetic resources worldwide
- Open Knowledge in Agricultural Development
- International Network of Food Data Systems (INFOODS): International food composition table/database directory (FAO of the UN)
- FAO/INFOODS Global Food Composition Database for Fish and Shellfish : Data for policy
- FAO/INFOODS free E-LEARNING COURSE on FOOD COMPOSITION DATA
- Free FAO e-learning course on Communication for Rural Development
- Inclusive rural communication services (FAO) [AGROVOC concepts: communication; mass communication; rural development strategies; rural development; capacity building]
- Crop Ontology: harmonizing semantics for phenotyping and agronomy data
- AgroPortal: a backbone for data integration and standardization in Agronomy
- International Society for Biocuration (2018) Biocuration: Distilling data into knowledge, PLoS Biol 16 (4)